Texas Tech University Associate/Assistant Professor & Department Chair in Lubbock, Texas
Contributes to the university’s mission through teaching, research and service, some variation by academic unit.
The College of Media & Communication at Texas Tech University (TTU) is seeking a visionary academic leader to help establish a new academic department, grow a new undergraduate degree program, and mentor a team of faculty dedicated to excellence in teaching, service and research to the disciplines and industries of professional communication. This new department – projected titled is the Department of Professional Communication – will serve as the academic home to the new B.A. degree in Digital Media & Professional Communication to be available on-campus and at TTU's regional sites.
A colleague with a demonstrated record of academic leadership in the areas of media & professional communication and distance education, as well as a national reputation in teaching, research, and service is desired. In addition to administrative duties, the chair will teach a 1:1 load. Anticipated start date is fall 2018 or spring 2019.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a visionary leader who understands the dynamic and evolving changes in media & communication industries and education
- Recruit, retain, and mentor a high-achieving diverse faculty teaching undergraduate and graduate courses in digital media & professional communication
- Plan, develop, assess and schedule online, hybrid, and face-to-face curriculum for multiple campuses
- Foster interdisciplinary partnerships internal and external to the College; in particular, work closely with the Rawls College of Business Administration at TTU on joint programs
- Demonstrate success in developing outreach to local, regional, national and international employers
- Be willing to travel regionally to develop off-site programs
- Exhibit a commitment to undergraduate education Candidates who have strong records of scholarship supported by extramural funding and have the proven capacity or clear potential to bring externally sponsored research to TTU are encouraged to apply. Service duties include program-building, as well as commitment to extra-curricular activities. Service to the department, college, university, and community is expected.
The College of Media & Communication at TTU offers bachelor’s degrees in Advertising, Communication Studies, Electronic Media, Journalism, Media Strategies, and Public Relations. Master’s degrees in Mass Communication, Communication Studies, and Strategic Communication (online), and a Ph.D. in Media & Communication. The college serves approximately 1,800 undergraduate majors, 235 MA students in three programs, and 35 Ph.D. students. Recent graduates of the doctoral program have begun careers at universities in the Big 10, Big 12, ACC, and SEC, as well as applied research positions with media companies such as the Disney MediaScience Research Lab. The college maintains high standards for teaching, even as its reputation as a media research center expands. Junior faculty hires from top doctoral programs in recent years reflect this ascendance. Signature research strengths among college faculty include Hispanic and international media, strategic, science, health, and political communication as well as social scientific research methods. The College's Center for Communication Research offers state-of-the-art facilities for studying audience responses to media messages and the Communication Training Center trains instructors, faculty and graduate students to enhance oral and visual communication skills. The college is home to the Outpost Social Media Lab, a major center for the study of new and emerging media, and the Thomas Jay Harris Institute for Hispanic and International Communication, a center of teaching, research, and community outreach in Hispanic and International Communication.
Academic degree as defined by the academic unit and as appropriate for the position held. Demonstrated record of effectiveness as a teacher, a record of peer reviewed publication and/or peer-reviewed creative activity which has contributed to the discipline or field of study, to the candidate’s intellectual and artistic development, and to the quality of the academic enterprise; a record of professional service appropriate to the discipline; promise of growth in teaching and research or artistic and creative activity.
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in academic discipline related to communication
- At least three years of higher education administrative experience
- Experience in distance or online education
- Credentials that merit appointment at the rank of associate or full professor with tenure
- Have an active research program in a related area
- Established record of advancing diversity PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Experience in higher education budgeting
- Professional experience in a related area
- Successful guidance in tenure and promotion cases
- Experience acquiring or pursuing external funding
- Experience supporting successful donor and alumni relations
- Experience working with diverse student populations and first-generation students is highly desirable
As an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, Texas Tech University is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse faculty committed to teaching and working in a multicultural environment. We actively encourage applications from all those who can contribute, through their research, teaching, and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of the academic community at Texas Tech University. The university does not discriminate on the basis of an applicant’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or status as a protected veteran. Texas Tech welcomes consideration of dual career and professional couple accommodations.
Compensation is commensurate upon the qualifications of the individual selected and budgetary guidelines of the hiring department, as well as, the institutional pay plan. For additional information, please reference the institutional pay plan on the Human Resources webpage.
Extended Job Title: Associate/Assistant Professor & Department Chair
Work Location: Lubbock
Org Level 1: Texas Tech University
Campus: Texas Tech University
Department: Media and Communication
Does this position work in a research laboratory?: No
Required Attachments: Cover Letter Professional/Personal References Research Statement Resume / CV Teaching Philosophy Transcript
Job Type: Full Time
Pay Basis: Monthly
Salary Grade: 800
Travel Required: Up to 25%
Schedule Details: Faculty & Administrative Position - Schedule dependant upon teaching and admin. duties
Grant Funded?: No
Requisition ID: 13363BR