HARRIS COUNTY Policy Advisor in Houston, Texas
Under the direction of the Policy Department Director, the Policy Advisor monitors, analyzes, and tracks changes to County policy and related local, state and federal laws and regulations, and prepares various documents for Precinct 1 leadership and Commissioner to support the Precinct's policy goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Monitors, analyzes and tracks changes to County policy and related local, state and federal laws and regulations.
- Works within the organization and across specific interest groups, attending meetings, hearings and functions.
- Identifies various issues and specific interests and prepares briefing documents for Precinct 1 leadership and Commissioner.
- Drafts policy memos and relevant background documents.
- Serves as staff liaison to internal and external County departments and stakeholders.
- Supports Precinct 1 Commissioner, leadership team and relevant departments in execution of Precinct policy goals.
Performs related work as assigned. Requirements
Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university in the fields of Public Policy, Public Administration, Public Affairs, Political Science, Economics, Research Science, or a closely related field; and
A minimum of five (5) years of relevant public policy experience (e.g., policy analysis, government, criminal justice, economics). OR
Master's degree from an accredited college or university in the fields of Public Policy, Public Administration, Public Affairs, Political Science, Economics, Research Science, or a closely related field; and
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant public policy experience (e.g., policy analysis, government, criminal justice, economics).
**NOTE: A combination of education, training, certification, and experience will be evaluated on an individual basis for comparability to the minimum education and experience requirements.__
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal government operations including legislation, budget, and policy development.
- Mission-driven and self-directed, with a demonstrated passion for Precinct 1's work to improve outcomes for Precinct 1 constituents.
- Strong research and analysis skills, including but not limited to legislative and budgetary analysis.
- Excellent critical thinking, logic and reasoning skills to effectively think through problems and information.
- Strong effective communications skills both oral and written; ability to tailor messages appropriately to various audiences.
- Ability to understand complex issues quickly and communicate them concisely.
- Ability to identify relative strengths and weaknesses of options, solutions or approaches.
- Ability to learn and apply new skills; ability to learn how to operate new systems quickly.
- Ability to set priorities, establish clear expectations and execute identified projects.
- Ability to keep abreast of current developments.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to use technology tools to effectively manage and expedite processes; uses resources effectively.
- Ability to work in cross-functional teams.
- Valid Texas driver's license (upon hire).
- Visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate computer keyboard and basic office equipment.
- Subject to sitting and standing to perform essential functions.
- Working conditions are generally in an office environment; occasionally working conditions are outdoors, depending on assignments.
NOTE: To qualify for this position, required experience, education and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use *any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration. * Preferences
- Proficiency with ArcGIS or other mapping software.
- Proficiency in foreign language(s). General Information
- 40 Hours per Week / Monday - Friday
Evening and Weekend Hours May Be Required SALARY:
Commensurate with Qualifications
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date*.*
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Department: Commissioner Precinct 1
Job Number: 02896
Closing: 5/18/2018 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 240 Houston, Texas, 77002