HARRIS COUNTY Civil CAD Designer in Houston, Texas
The Designer works under the supervision of a team Leader and coordinates work with team members to produce engineering construction drawings using AutoCAD Civil 3D.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs quality assurance/quality control of drawings to ensure quality, accuracy, clarity and neatness of drawings.
- Correctly completes basic calculations, such as cut and fill volumes and determines slopes and angles.
- Provides appropriate documentation in support of this work.
- Implements and maintains AutoCAD Civil 3D standards.
- Self-educates to stay current on AutoCAD Civil 3D technology.
- Performs site visits as directed, and/or if necessary.
- Interacts with the Survey Section and other team members to identify the required information to be included in drawings produced by in-house survey crews.
- Identifies required tasks, organizes and plans drawing sets.
- Prepares a schedule for time to complete drawings.
- Proactively works with the Team Leader and team members to identify and manage priorities.
- Works well within a team environment and one-on-one sessions and communicates well with other team members.
- Works well with minimal supervision.
- Successfully achieves project goals for the completion of required tasks and drawing production.
Other duties as assigned within the scope and responsibility of the position. Requirements
High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent from an accredited educational institution; and
Successful completion of specialized drafting and design course in civil engineering CAD project design.
- Minimum of two (2) years of full-time AutoCAD Civil3D engineering design experience.
- AutoCivil3D engineering design ability, including but not limited to:
- Points, surfaces and contour display
- Alignments, profiles & cross-sections
- Proposed grading objects
- Layer management & usage
- Easement Documents, use of aerials
- Drawing scales as they relate to text, dimensions, lines, viewports
- Plotting & plot scales, pen tables
- Xrefs and image attachment
- Standard uses of Model and Paper Space
- Site Plans
- Drainage Area Maps
- Plan & Profiles.
- Cross Sections
- Traffic Control Plans
- Proposed Striping Layouts
- Typical Sections and Details, as specified by project manager
- Ability to produce line work in profile/plan view that corresponds to existing and proposed utilities, etc. that are shown in the plan/profile view.
Valid driver's license (Texas upon hire) and a good driving record. Other Requirements:
Sample production documents may be required during interviews in order to demonstrate proven ability to produce civil and standard drawings.
- Skills test by third party testing organization may be required as part of interview process.
NOTE: To qualify, required experience must be clearly documented on your application's employment history, and must include employer's information, dates of employment and job description. Information not included on the application, will not be used for qualifications. Preferences
- Associate's degree from an accredited college or university in Civil Engineering, Construction Science or closely related field.
- Five (5) years of full-time AutoCAD Civil3D engineering design experience.
- Knowledge of industry and regulatory standards and codes.
- Knowledge of Harris County drafting standards, plan set preparation, presentation and reproduction of drawings.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, ArcGIS and Adobe Acrobat software.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word Processing and other geo-referenced data, including both engineering and geometric calculations. General Information
- Monday - Friday / 8:00a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Subject to Early Mornings, Evenings, Weekends, and/or Holiday Work As Needed
- Commensurate With Experience
- Will Be Discussed During Departmental Interview
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date*.*
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Department: Engineering Department
Job Number: 02904
Closing: 5/20/2018 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 240 Houston, Texas, 77002