USAA Senior Designer in Austin, Texas
Purpose of Job
We’re looking for a Sr. Experience Designer to join our 6-person team in the USAA Austin Design Studio.
We currently support the Life & Health insurance products. We’ll be creating a holistic experience that helps our members determine what type of coverage is best for their current life needs and budget, efficiently get them through the application process, and then nurture and support them when they need to use their insurance and submit/understand claims and benefits (this is not a marketing or sales position).
All of our designers bring different specialties or skills to the table, and our Sr. Designer should have a strategic perspective on the work and be able to articulate that well. The type of work we do ranges from big-picture “what-ifs” and conducting user interviews, to creating UX wires/visual comps, or even running a collaboration workshop session. Growing your skills as a design practitioner is an important part of your career in the USAA Chief Design Office, so being willing to jump in and try new things is key.
- Executes and/or guides creating concepts and design and/or coding of marketing/brand communications and/or graphic user interface needs. Works closely with key partners and manages suppliers to ensure quality output and production. Collaborates with key stakeholders to understand business needs.
- Job Description:
- Creates and executes concepts, designs, and/or coding and may guide production of complex and integrated visual/technical solutions.
- Applies, and may teach, advanced knowledge of design principles and business objectives.
- Presents and communicates design objectives, concepts and executions to partners and stakeholders across the enterprise.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders to ensure all executions fulfill requirements.
- Ensures compliance with design, brand, legal and/or accessibility standards/requirements, as required.
- Create design concepts and/or prototypes for use in usability testing.
- Facilitates the development or improvement of design processes, procedures, standards and guidelines.
- Serves as a mentor to peers and team members.
- Resolve design and technical issues through an understanding of the business and design principles.
- Clearly articulates the various facets of the issue and facilitates resolution.
- Contributes to the alignment of member experiences across projects, programs, products and channels.
- Bachelor's degree or 4 years of design work experience may be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- 6 or more yrs experience in advertising or digital design. Advanced understanding of marketing/advertising and/or user experience and/or interactive design principles.
- Advanced communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Experience facilitating cross functional initiatives and influencing business decisions.
- Self-motivated and able to work well with a diverse group of people.
- Experience meeting tight deadlines.
- Advanced skills Advanced with the Adobe Creative Suite.
- Advanced with Microsoft Office and Visio.
Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Strong understanding of WCAG 2.0 and accessibility principles
- Strategic thinker and design maker
- Solid writing and communication skills
- Has conducted user interviews before (not looking for an expert)
- Patience for transforming from Waterfall to SAFe Agile
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is not available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 04/02/18 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Senior Designer TX-Austin R0019139