HARRIS COUNTY Inspector - Public Review in Houston, Texas
The Inspector position resides within the Public Review Team of the Harris County Permit's Office. The position observes facilities constructed within the public right of way to ensure conformance with Harris County regulations.
Performs the duties below; other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate.
- Effectively organizes work schedules to inspect all relevant construction within the assigned inspection areas; observes all phases of construction.
- Maintains detailed records of inspections and all activities within the assigned areas.
- Verifies development in assigned areas conforms to County regulations, including responding to complaints.
- Climbs in and out of storm sewer manholes and inlets as needed.
- During emergency response situations for our community, such as hurricanes or floods, the position may be tasked with additional duties; performs disaster recovery support tasks.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
*This is a beginner to intermediate level inspection position. *
- High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent; and
A minimum of two (2) years of verifiable experience performing field inspections of roadway paving and public utility installation. NOTE:Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) of the 12 series 12B, 12C, 12E or similar MOS types and a minimum rank of E-5 may be considered to count as or reduce experience requirements. (To qualify, military experience and rank must be clearly documented on your application employment history).
Basic computer knowledge in a Microsoft Windows based environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain records, files and communicate effectively with the general public.
- Must possess the ability to operate basic office equipment, prepare written business correspondence, multitask and be detail oriented.
- Ability to read construction drawings, topographical maps, civil survey deeds and drawings.
- Valid driver's license (Texas upon hire) and a good driving record.
Environmental and Physical Requirements:
- Works outside in all types of weather and ground conditions.
- Ability to walk and stand for extended periods of time.
NOTE: *To qualify for this position, required experience, education and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but *we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration. Experience obtained while on the military must also be included as part of your employment history on the application. Preferences
- Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Civil Engineering, Construction or other closely related field.
- Level II Inspector Certification issued by the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET).
- Previous work experience as an Inspector/Observer for private engineering firm or government entity. General Information
- Monday - Friday / 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Subject to Early Mornings, Evenings, Weekends & Holidays SALARY:
Will Be Discussed During Departmental Interview
- Commensurate With Experience
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date*.*
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Job Number: 02464
Department: Engineering Department
Closing: 10/29/2017 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 170 Houston, Texas, 77002.