HARRIS COUNTY Inspector - Private Development in Houston, Texas
Inspects construction and pursues compliance regarding plans and specifications set by the rules and regulations of Harris County as administered by the Permit Group.
- Effectively organizes work schedules to inspect all relevant construction within the assigned inspection areas.
- Maintains detailed records of inspections and all activities within the assigned areas.
- Verify development in assigned areas conforms to County regulations, including responding to complaints.
- Ensures the proper operation and maintenance of assigned vehicle.
- Performs disaster recovery support tasks, as assigned, when emergency needs arise.
Performs other duties as assigned. Requirements
High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent; and
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience/background in engineering related design, construction, real property, or closely related field; OR
- Previous experience working with the Harris County Engineering Department for any period of time (including through an internship program); OR
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience working for another Harris County department.
- Military Occupational Specialties (MOS) of the 12 series 12B, 12C, 12E or similar MOS types and a minimum rank of E-5 may be considered to replace experience requirements. (To qualify, military experience and rank must be clearly documented on your application employment history).
- Must have strong written and verbal communication and organizational skills in maintaining records, files and communicate effectively with the public.
- Basic computer skills and proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office programs and the ability to learn department supported application programs shortly after hire.
- Ability to read construction drawings, topographical maps, and knowledge of regulatory agencies and their impact on Architecture/Engineering Planning.
- Ability to operate basic office equipment, prepare written business correspondence, multitask and be detail oriented.
A valid driver's license (Texas upon hire) and a good driving record. (Must provide and maintain proof of automobile liability insurance upon employment) Environmental and Physical Requirements:
Ability to work for extended periods in hot, cold and inclement weather.
- Ability to lift maps, plans and specifications related to inspection process.
- Ability to stoop and/or crouch during inspection process as necessary.
NOTE:To qualify for this position, all requirements must be covered and clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration; unless, your qualifications are also clearly stated on the application itself. Preferences
- Bachelor's or Associate's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Engineering, Architecture or other closely related field.
- Experience working in a position that requires understanding and implementation of rules or regulations.
- Previous government employment, especially in areas that involve administration of regulations.
- Construction experience.
- Intermediate or higher level knowledge of construction techniques or engineering design.
- Bilingual in Spanish. General Information
*HOURS: * Monday - Friday / 7:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Subject to Early Mornings, Evenings, Weekends & Holidays as Needed
SALARY: Based on 26 Pay Periods
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Job Number: 02465
Department: Engineering Department
Closing: 10/29/2017 11:59 PM Central
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 170 Houston, Texas, 77002.