HARRIS COUNTY Heavy Equipment Operator II (Road and Bridge) in Houston, Texas
Under general supervision, the incumbent performs a variety of road maintenance and construction duties.
Performs the duties below; other duties may be assigned as deemed necessary.
- Performs a variety of road maintenance, including clearing brush, trimming branches, operating a chipper and mowing rights-of-way.
- Performs routine maintenance, including applying herbicides, checking and filling fluids, cleaning offices and equipment yard.
- Performs construction duties, including setting up road signs, barricades, flagging and directing traffic, and filling potholes.
- Operates light and heavy construction equipment, including pick-up trucks, rollers, broom trucks, tractor mowers, vactor trucks, dump trucks, front end loaders, backhoes, trenchers, chainsaws, pole saws, mowers, and mechanical cutters, as required.
- Handles road materials, including asphalt, oils, gravel, limestone, concrete and crack sealer material.
- Picks up trash and litter in various parks, roads, buildings and maintains restrooms.
- Oversees and monitors county inmates and community service participants during work assignments as needed.
- Assists other county departments with labor tasks as instructed.
- Follows established safety procedures and guidelines.
- Performs all jobs in a safe and timely manner.
Performs other duties as assigned. Requirements
High school diploma or G.E.D. equivalent from an accredited educational institution.
- Ability to work well with all levels of management, staff, and public.
Valid driver's license (Texas by hire date) and a good driving record. Environmental and Physical Requirements:
Physical ability to perform job duties, including: walking, bending, climbing stairs, and standing for extended periods of time.
- Must regularly lift and/or move at least fifty (50) pounds.
Ability to work in inclement weather and confined areas. Additional Requirements:
Must undergo and pass physical exam.
- Must attain a Class "B" (CDL) commercial driver's license with Tanker Endorsement within 180 days of hire; or a class "A" (CDL) commercial driver's license and special endorsements, if job required.
NOTE:Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation; but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration Preferences
- A minimum of one (1) year of road and bridge experience.
- A minimum of one (1) year of asphalt work experience including: site preparation, setting grade and base repairs, milling, paving, and rolling.
- A minimum of one (1) year of concrete work experience including: site preparation, setting grade, forming & rebar installation, pouring, troweling, and finishing. General Information
- Crosby Camp - Crosby, TX 77532
Wade Road Camp - Baytown, TX 77521 HOURS:
40 Hours per Week / Monday - Friday/ As Assigned
- (On-Call, After Hours or Weekends as Required)
(Emergency situations may require additional hours) SALARY:
Based On 26 Pay Period
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
Salary: $14.00 - $17.00 Hourly
Location: Houston, TX
Job Type: Regular Full-time
Job Number: 02354
Department: Commissioner Precinct 2
Agency: Harris County
Address: 1310 Prairie Street, Ste. 170 Houston, Texas, 77002.